Welcome to the Rhiw Valley Light Railway
Situated, not surprisingly, in the Rhiw Valley on the B4390 between the villages of Berriew and Manafon.
Founded in 1970 by Jack Woodroffe the railway is currently home to 3 engines:
- “Powys” 0-6-2 Tank Engine designed by David Curwen and built by Severn Lamb
- “Jack” 0-4-0 Tender Engine designed by Jack Woodroffe and Neil Simkin and built by Jack Woodroffe and TMA Engineering
- “Monty” 0-4-0 Diesel Shunting Engine outline powered by a petrol engine out of an Austin Mini.
The railway is currently being maintained and operated by a small team of volunteers and remains in the ownership of the Woodroffe family. The railway is not open to the public on a daily basis but does open for Open Days and private bookings.
The railway is built to 15” gauge and runs for approximately ¾ mile round Lower House Farm alongside the River Rhiw.
Maintaining and developing a railway of this size is a big commitment and we would welcome other like minded enthusiasts to join our very small group of volunteers to help us maintain and carry out our ambitious expansion plans.
The Railway is run on a strictly “not for profit” basis with all donations and entrance fees being spent on developing and maintaining the railways infrastructure and rolling stock
Sponsor a Sleeper campaign
“Become a Sleeping Partner”
The “Friends of the Rhiw Valley Light Railway” are delighted to announce the launch of their “Sponsor a Sleeper” campaign to help raise funds. Full details of this exciting appeal can be found here.
Open Day Weekends 2020
May Open Weekend (Cancelled)
- Sat 2nd – Sun 3rd May 2020
June Open Weekend (Cancelled)
- Sat 6th – Sun 7th June 2020
July Open Weekend (Cancelled)
- Sat 11th – Sun 12th July 2020
August Open Weekend (Cancelled)
- Sat 1st – Sun 2nd August 2020
September Open Weekend (Cancelled)
- Sat 5th – Sun 6th September 2020
October Open Weekend (Cancelled)
- Sat 3rd – Sun 4th October 2020
Further details on all our Open Days can be found here.
RVLR 2015 Promo Video - The Line That Jack Built
If you would like to register to receive email copies of our newsletters, details of special events and to be notified when we upgrade this site then please sign up here